Landon Bone Baker has been a long-time collaborator with Marwen by providing architectural and design education to a students and teachers. Programs that engage high school students include:
• The “Think Like an Architect” class was a collaboration between Marwen, Lane Technical High School and LBBA that ran from 1999-2009. The class provided high school students insights into the architectural profession and design process. During each year-long session, students studied and completed hands-on projects in urban planning and housing. The students also explored the city, visited construction sites and visited other architectural offices. The class was modeled after university courses with the students designing and presenting their final projects to guests and Chicago architects.
• LBBA was one of the first sites and continues to act as a mentoring site for Marwen’s “Art at Work” program – a program that introduces students to the professional employment opportunities in design and art.
• LBBA participates in Marwen’s yearly Career Day. Students and their parents are encouraged to mingle and interact with design professions during this yearly event that highlights careers in a variety of design professions.
Programs that engage teachers include:
• Chicago Public Schools has contracted with Marwen to provide design workshops to high school architectural drafting teachers. LBBA has acted as host and guide for these workshops – which introduce and strengthen design teaching skills of the teachers. Originally designed to complement the skills and lessons taught in the “Architectural Handbook” – Chicago Public Schools’ new architectural drafting curriculum – the workshop has grown to explore urban and environmental topics.
• LBBA also conducts two-day workshops for any teachers within Marwen’s CPS University program. The goal of the program is to provide resources through which the teachers can enrich their classrooms and recharge their teaching careers. Teachers of all age groups and topics get hands-on experience in learning about and implementing lessons developed around the design process.